My favorite venue for browsing is the Birthplace of Speed Antique Car Show in Ormond Beach, which I find to be a much more intimate setting than the large-scale Turkey Run event held at the Daytona International Speedway. There's always a top-notch collection of vintage cars on display, including the staple Model-T Fords, stately Packard, beefy Pontiacs, a tail-fin Plymouth Belvedere, a unique British Austin or Triumph, and even a Stanley Steamer; their owners are more than willing to regale you with their stories about their cars!
Before long, however, I always seek out my personal favorite - the Chevrolet Corvette. For me, this iconic car is THE American Classic Car and there were several prime specimens on display again this year. The Corvette has stood the test of time because it:
- looks powerful and sleek, even when standing still;
- is instantly recognizable, though it has evolved and improved technically through multiple generations;
- becomes more valuable over time, if meticulously maintained;
- offers reliability and remarkably high performance at a reasonable price (relative to its super-car competition);
- stimulates conversation and creates excitement;
- respects its heritage and the Brand Promise.