In case you sadly missed it, here's a link to Phelps’s latest Game Face, plus a few more: CLICK HERE If you're wondering what this has to do with my cultivation(s), I'll get there shortly!
While Phelps was mentally preparing for his 200 meter butterfly event, a staunch swimming competitor of his, South African Chad Le Clos, was busy flapping his arms, shadow boxing and dancing about in the “ready room” and directly in front of Phelps. It's not the first time he has poked at Phelps. Many would consider Le Clos’s actions a form of non-verbal taunting; one look at Phelp’s expression just might reveal how he felt about the gestures and gyrations.
What fascinates me about this situation, aside from the human theatre of it all, is that:
- Phelps is intense, focused and channeling his energy into some sort of super-human personal battery.
- Le Clos is spewing energy all about the room and presumably casting it around Phelps, if not directly at him.
- Phelps took his own energy, added what he gathered out of the atmosphere from Le Clos, and put a full charge on his own performance battery.
- Phelps won his 20th Gold Medal!
- Le Clos just got wet and finished without a medal.
There's one more lesson that comes to mind: Don't poke at a hungry bear!
Congratulations, Michael Phelps and Team USA. You make us proud to be Americans and to realize that America is great because of people with your spirit, your energy, your talent, and your Game Face!