If you’re a contestant in a game show, guesswork might be acceptable. After all, part of the objective of the TV producers is to prey upon surprise, disappointment and occasionally exuberance. Since the outcome is simply a matter of chance, who can possibly be responsible for what happens?
When it comes to the world of business, however, guesswork is the fast track to Big Trouble. Consider what happens with guesswork when it comes to:
- Safety – which results in injury, or much worse;
- Purpose – resulting in confusion and wasted motion;
- Finance – that lands a business in bankruptcy;
- Sales – when the result is none (or at least of the type you want!);
- Customers – which ends up in lost business and ended relationships;
- Employees – leading to disengagement and frustration.
While great communication skills come with practice, the fantastic thing is that you don’t need to be an “expert” to participate. You simply need to care and approach every situation with positive intent. What’s on your mind? Go ahead, ask and see what happens.
Enjoy the Journey!