Our Texas Region is setting the pace in sales, operations and financial performance. There’s a certain air about the place and you quickly discover that attitude has lots to do with that fabled Texas persona; yes, it’s real.
When I checked into my Houston hotel room earlier this week, there was a branded gift bag with an assortment of cool stuff in it. The thing that most caught my eye was a little book titled 100 Great Things About Texas by Glenn Dromgoole. It's a self-described “celebration of 100 subtle and not-so-subtle, serious and not-so-serious things that make Texas the special place that it is”. Here are my Top 10 favorite excerpts, word for word:
- The Republic for Which It Stands. Texas was once an independent nation, and most of the time we act like it still is.
- And Pick-Up Truck Commercials. Texas leads the nation in pick-up truck sales. (My note: They even have their own Silverado “Texas Edition”!)
- First Thanksgiving. Texas lays claim to having the first Thanksgiving feast – in 1598 near what is now El Paso – twenty three years before the one in Massachusetts. (My note: I wonder if they ate Aunt Pookie’s barbecue?)
- Without Much Effort. If Texas is not the biggest or best in something, we can sure make it sound like it is.
- Leading the Nation.Texas has more horses than any other state. We also produce more oil, sheep, rice and cotton.
- The Official Texas Small (and Slow) Mammal.Armadillos are living proof that Texans have a sense of humor. And that God does, too.
- Left Lane Closed. We have more miles of road than any other state. And the most miles under construction at any given time. (My note: I can attest to that; I don't believe Texans have ever met a road they didn't like.)
- Howdy. We say “Howdy, y’all”. And mean it.
- Cheers. Texans gave the world Dr. Pepper, the margarita, and Shiner Beer. (My note: Thanks, Texas, especially for that last one.)
- Texas Mystique. The Texas mystique can't be defined, but it can't be denied. (My note: Neither can Texas Talent.)
Until next time, ya'll take care!