This phenomenon is the symptom of an active life, one full of sensory overloads. Finding a brief moment to pause and reflect may be all that’s needed to discover something interesting hiding in plain sight.
Your own discoveries may be found in the “wild kingdom”, but odds are that most hide in the middle of the stream of daily life. I can think of a few examples:
- A child’s first steps, first words, or first ‘whatevers’. Each and all of them occur when you least expect it;
- True love may be no farther away than an engaging smile in a random moment;
- Artistic genius tends to break through when the mind is reflecting elsewhere, or even at rest;
- The meaning of life may be discovered in a cemetery;
- A new beginning may be constructed from the remnants of an old ending.
It’s rewarding to find time for absorbing the world around you; much more can be found by looking up and around than on the screen of a smart phone. Today is the ideal time to see what you can find, where you least expect it.