My youngest son made a sport out of asking: “Why is it you say that…..?” regarding just about Everything! The topic wasn't important; the reason(s) why or why not were what constantly mattered to him. In fact, this became so expected that we finally went out and bought him “The Big Book of Tell Me Why”; yes, that's the real title. We looked up things constantly and read another chapter every night. I think that today the book must be titled “Google that”.
His undaunted spirit has led him down paths I can barely imagine. And he still asks that same question as he explores new frontiers today. It's a great question and offers perspective for all of us to ask “Why is it you say that…”:
- I can't have that Dream Client?
- I can't earn that promotion?
- I can't overcome my fear of (just about anything)?
- I can't be happy?
- I can't exceed the budget?
- I need to wait?
- I should just accept that “it is what it is”?
- I just need to do my job and not concern myself with (you name it)?
- I don't have what I need to be successful?
- I shouldn't create a tomorrow better than today?
Why is it I say that you should do these things? It's because I know that you will enjoy the journey more when you do.